We are all hearing more and more of hijackings around us in South Africa. We hear about these cases on the news and see cases all over social media platforms on a daily basis.
What preventative measures can you put in place to not become another statistic? Here are a few basic tips to follow that could very well save your life!
- Do not get into a set routine with routes to your destination. A routine is gold to criminals who may be keeping track of your movements.
- Be extra alert when you are close to reaching your destination. Avoid being on a cellular phone or in deep conversation with someone else in the car.
- Make sure that your driveway is well lit both inside and outside of your property. Remove any shrubbery or other hiding spots.
- If you suspect that you are being followed, continue driving past your destination and if necessary drive to your closest police station or a busy public area.
- Always drive with your car doors locked and do not leave your car windows wide open.
- Prepare yourself to take evasive action. Quick thinking can often get you out a dangerous situation.
- Wait for your gate to open completely before turning into your driveway.
- Keep a safe following distance from a car that could be driving slow in front of you to allow for space to
- Keep your car doors locked at all times.
If you are caught off-guard and find yourself in a hijack situation, remember to stay calm and to cooperate with the hijackers. Do not try to retaliate or to fight for your belongings. Your life is more important…